Thursday, June 30, 2011

Zesty Crumbled Feta

I love playing with Feta cheese. It's salty flavor allows you to add other dimensions to it, thus balancing it out in different ways. I like to buy block feta, cube it then marinade it. It makes the perfect starter with a good bread. This time I bought crumbled feta. I saw a crumbled feta recipe online but they used jalapeno peppers, and when I tried that, it completely overpowered the other flavors. So here is my version.

Place a whole head of garlic wrapped in foil directly onto the oven rack at 350 for about 20 minutes or until easily pierced with a knife. Squeeze the head and all the cloves will ooze out, a golden color. Yum. Place that in a bowl with the crumbled feta, red pepper flakes, fresh lemon zest and chopped parsley. I like the way the Italian parsley's lemony flavor combined with the lemon zest brightens up the flavor even more. If you don't like parsley you can use thyme, which also lends a citrusy note.

Can I stop for a second to admire this photo? Such bright and delicious colors. Remember, you eat with your eyes first!                                                                                                                                      

Add a drizzle of olive oil to the bowl. This will soften the feta a bit, so that its more creamy. Combine and refrigerate. I like to let the flavors mingle before serving. It really makes a difference. Spread this onto bread. I promise you it will be a huge hit. I made this last night for guests at my house and it was gone in a flash!

No comments:

Post a Comment