Thursday, June 30, 2011

Broiled Vegetable Sandwich with Sun Dried Tomato Pesto

This is the kind of sandwich I was talking about in my post about Giadas panini maker, although this one I didn't put under the panini. (My husband actually took his to it though :) ) My favorite thing about this sandwich is the sun dried tomato pesto. It's so unexpected yet delicious. I love how people try to figure out what it is when they take that bit, or see that bright red on the bread. In the sandwich are my three favorite broiled vegetable combinations. Red bell peppers, zucchini and eggplant. Sometimes at restaurants, where they do a sandwich like this, they will add mushrooms, which I can see has a good intention, but it tends to make the rest of the vegetables brown, and they get pretty soggy. Another thing I've seen done at most places with this sandwich is that they use a melting cheese like mozzarella. I've tasted that, and it's great. But don't you think bits of goat cheese is so much better? Spinach leaves finish this off for the perfect and fresh on the go sandwich.

The veggies get golden and smokey under the broiler. I know I've said this before, but broiling brings out the best flavors in vegetables.

A good chunky sun dried tomato pesto that is packed with flavor!



Do I have to tell you how to layer a sandwich? Lol. I did it in this order:
Sun dried tomatoe pesto spread on the bread. Strip each of red bell pepper, eggplant and zucchini. Crumbled bits of goat cheese, several leaves of spinach. Voila!

Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
2 jars sun dried tomatoes packed in oil
5 garlic cloves (less if you don't like it with spice)
1/4 cup pine nuts, or you can use walnuts.
1/2 cup basil
salt and pepper to taste.

Put all the ingredients into a food processor and pulse until pasty. I like mine a little chunky, but pulse for your desired consistency.

1 comment:

  1. האוכל אתמול היה סוף הדרךךךךךךך אין עליך!!

    ReplyDelete