Garden Vegetable Frittata with Sweet Potato "Fries"
- 1 large purple onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 bunch of asparagus tips
- 1/4 cup chopped chive
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 10 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup melting cheese like fontina or mozzarella, shredded
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil for frying
- 1 small sweet potato peeled and julienned.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk, cheese, salt and pepper. Set aside.
In a deep saute pan heat olive oil over medium- high heat and add the onions. Cook until translucent, stirring often, about five minutes. Add carrots, bell peppers, asparagus and mushrooms. Season lightly with salt to release juices and flavor from the vegetables. Cook for about 10 minutes or until the carrots are tender. Add the egg mixture and stir to combine.Using a spatula or wooden spoon pull away the cooked sides to allow uncooked egg to seep to the edges. Do this often. Add the chives and parsley. Stir lightly and cover the pan. Lower heat to medium and cook until set. Uncover and transfer to the broiler until cooked through and lightly golden, about 3-5 minutes.
In a separate pan heat vegetable oil and cook the sweet potatoes, stirring often until golden and cooked through. Sprinkle over frittata and serve hot.