Sunday, August 28, 2011

Re-Invented Eggs & Hash Browns



My favorite meal of the day is brunch. Only once a week do I get to enjoy a light hearted meal with endless options, so when I make it, I make it good. I love hash browns. And I love eggs. And I always make them together. So I just decided to combine the two. A one pan dish. Just a way not to have to do twice as many dishes. And because I love re-inventing things. Instead of dicing the potatoes I shredded them. It makes a great crunchy crust on the outside, and ooey gooey chewy goodness on the inside. The eggs cook exactly the way I like them. Firm but still with a runny yolk. You can leave them on the fire longer to cook more if that's how you like them. You can even scramble them and then pour them in to the center, if you prefer scrambled eggs. This is just a pleasing dish. Everybody wins. That's how mornings should be. Here's to a great start.

I love step one. Fry an onion. I am addicted to the smell of fried onions. I'd wear it as a perfume if it were available...maybe.

Add shredded potatoes and pat flat so that the bottom can get crispy.

Fight the urge to mix it. Let it sit untouched for 5 minutes on medium high heat. Otherwise it wont get crispy, it will just get soggy.
Start mixing when one section gets a good dose of browning. Like this:

Mix well and pat again into place.

When enough of the pan is browned, make a well and add the eggs.

Season and let it sit until the eggs are just thee way you like them.

Bubbly runny eggs, crispy crunchy crust. The smell of fried onions. It's perfection.
Eat to your hearts delight!


No comments:

Post a Comment