Friday, December 16, 2011

An Old Recipe For Sweet Potato Royal

Skimming through the pages of The Buffalo Jewish Review for the firs time since I moved here, I came across a page with a recipe by a holocaust survivor. Not only did I find this really nostalgic, to make this recipe for shabbos, but the main ingredient is sweet potato which I just happened to buy and was thinking of what to make with it. 

I dont think I ever thought  to combine the sweet potato with dried apricots. I would think that it would just be too sweet. But I think that's the point here, since brown sugar is added and the sweet nuttiness of almonds is tossed  in here too. Since this is the first time I am ever hearing about this recipe Sweet Potato Royal, please correct me if I am wrong, or at least tell me, that you have heard of this, that this seems to be a dessert. 

 Give it a try this shabbos. I will and I will let you know how it came out. 


Sweet Potato Royal
1 cup dried apricots
1 cup brown sugar
2lbs sweet poatoes
Peeled and baked in the oven whole)
1/4 margarine
1/2 cup slivered almonds

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Soak apricots in 2 cups of water for 2 hours. Add the brown sugar and pour everything (water, apricots and sugar) into a pot. Cook until boiling.
Slice potatoes 1/2 inch thick and layer with apricots in a casserole dish. Top with melted margarine and almonds. Bake for 35 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment